In today’s Grey Matters, listen to YouTube creator Amy Landino talk about growing a channel, solving a problem for your community, and more.
Solving a Problem for Your Community: How Amy Landino Pivoted Her Digital Marketing Strategy Successfully
[0:00] – Introducing this episode of the Grey Matters podcast: An interview with Amy Landino.
- Amy strives to balance perfectionism with purposiveness.
[1:09] – Meeting Amy Landino, and how she got her start as a YouTube content creator.
- For a time, Amy was “the video girl who talks about video on video.” Eventually, her channel became focused on video, as the marketing landscape changed.
- Amy started to write her book in 2016, and at that point, she decided it was time to move into the next stage of her relationship with her audience.
- At the beginning of 2018, she wanted to explore new territory, and wanted to be able to go deeper with her audience. This began the pivot of her digital strategy, and her overall approach to content creation.
[4:23] – Amy’s path to becoming a leader for her community.
- Trying something new doesn’t necessarily mean coming up with some shiny new object for the audience. In this case, Amy started to pay more attention to the audience, listen to their comments, figure out their pain points, and determine how to best help them.
- A host of changes started at the end of 2017, including changes in her branding (following a name change after getting married).
[8:12] – On skills, accomplishments, and building a career based on what you can do, instead of relying on your “resume.”
- The way that things are changing now, if you're too worried about all the things you've accomplished, to the point where you don't even realize nobody else is paying attention to that anymore, or times have changed so much that they're irrelevant, you have to be able to pull from different areas and feel like you've invested space and time and energy in improving different areas of your life.
[10:58] – Changing the direction of Amy’s channel.
- Changing her last name was a decision that she did not make lightly; she considered the pros and cons from a branding perspective.
[15:44] – The secrets to successfully pivoting.
- Instead of feeling restricted to what the world knows about you, recognize the possibilities for what they could know about you.
[17:34] – Opportunity versus scarcity, and the factors that led to the pivot.
- There are always people in your space who are going to be doing the same thing as you. Focus on what you want to do, and what you could offer for a specific group of people.
[18:40] – Understanding the factors that may have influenced Amy’s explosion in popularity and successful pivot.
- Timing (and YouTube’s changes and push for more inclusivity for female creators) may have been a factor.
[22:37] – How the roadmap has changed in the past couple of years for Amy.
- Consistency is key, but consistency can also mean a lot of things.
[26:41] – The challenges that prevent more baby boomers from becoming successful in the online space.
- If you're open to seeing the next chapter for yourself, it means just being a little bit more open about the many (sometimes paralyzing) opportunities that are in front of you technology-wise, and how it can make things better and faster. However, it doesn't actually change how you need to be as a human.
[30:46] – The resources that spark inspiration in Amy’s brain.
- Comments from her audience inspire her, as well as figuring out where the attention is and why it’s there.
[33:15] – What Amy is excited about, and the next phase of her content creator journey.
[34:01] – On starting your day the right way, in your own way.
Amy Landino has transformed from a “Video girl who makes video about doing video” something she was very good at, to a leader helping her community live the life they desire.
She shares some incredibly valuable insight on her conversion journey, lessons I believe help Boomers big time, as we make the changes we need to to remain relevant in the digital age.