Social Media Marketing Strategy & Privacy Trends Baby Boomers and Generation X Should Watch For
[0:00] – Introducing this episode of the Grey Matters podcast: Getting back into the swing of things.
- Publishing content on a consistent basis requires dedication and commitment, and after a tumultuous 2020, the new year is a good time to start anew in terms of establishing a regular content publishing schedule for the podcast.
[2:27] – The effects of the pandemic on life and productivity, especially for content creators.
- One of the strangest things about 2020 and (how the pandemic has affected all of our lives) is a curious contradiction: instead of being more productive because of having more time on our hands (at least in theory), productivity for many has taken a hit, for reasons beyond just the limitations of time.
- However, this is not the time for anyone to beat themself up if they were unable to stick to a regular content creation or publishing schedule. Rather, this is an opportunity to reflect, plan, rebuild, and start over, especially considering how this pandemic is unlike anything we’ve ever experienced before.
- A testament to the dedication and fortitude of humanity, especially among the baby boomers and Gen Xers, is the continued growth of the Grey Wave community.
[5:28] – Launching and building the Grey Wave community portal.
- Over the last five months, the Grey Wave community of baby boomers and Gen Xers has grown, making it an incredibly fulfilling experience.
- The Grey Wave community teaches its members the importance of focusing on a single niche and having a clear idea of who their customers are so that they can deliver exceptional value to that community.
- Among the many challenges that these generations face today is ageism in the workforce, diminishing skills, and the shift towards the gig economy (or an on-demand, minimum-wage workforce).
- Thus, while the podcast and the community are open to all listeners and audiences, they will focus on the Gen X and baby boomer listeners. These initiatives will help that community develop and understand skills they need to compete, survive, and thrive in the online world, including techniques and strategies for building and growing an online business or a side hustle.
[12:31] – Looking ahead to 2021 and seeing the bigger picture.
- At this point, nobody knows for sure if we're ever going to return to the normal that we knew before. This has a massive effect on the way we run our businesses.
- There have been so many businesses that have been negatively affected by the pandemic and by the world situation, that it's going to take us a long time until we feel comfortable.
- Current events have led to an increase in the amount of people viewing streaming content, jumping onto live streams, listening to podcasts, and consuming online content, as the workforce has migrated more to a distributed workforce.
- This shows that, at the very least, the value of online content has doubtlessly increased.
[14:45] – The ongoing row between Facebook and Apple on user privacy, and how that might affect every business’s social media marketing strategy.
- There is an ongoing conversation and conflict revolving around privacy, specifically between two tech giants: Facebook and Apple.
- With Apple’s new iOS rules on tracking and Facebook’s staunch opposition to it, the two are on opposite sides of an argument that can fundamentally change how small businesses can reach audiences online.
- Meanwhile, another tech giant, Google, has some very similar pieces in place: a roadmap that can also bring about big changes in online advertising.
- As such, this issue is one that every online entrepreneur should pay attention to, especially those whose businesses are benefiting from having a comprehensive social media marketing strategy (e.g., Facebook ads).
We are back!
Relaunching a podcast is a hard thing to do.
It is like getting back to the gym after you have been away for a while.
All the same guilt, disappointment in yourself for letting it slide.
The anxiety that you have hard work ahead of you, and fear that you may let yourself down again.
So with a great deal of humility, I am sheepishly coming back to the gym, a few pounds heavier, a bit tentative, but determined to make it a habit once again.
This week I take the opportunity to reinforce the mission of this podcast, and my hopes for the community as we try and put 2020 in the rearview mirror.