In today’s Grey Matters podcast, Bosco Anthony talks about the state of online marketing, forming a digital marketing strategy, and more.
Digital Marketing Strategy and The State of The Nation in Online Marketing
[0:00] – Introducing this episode of the Grey Matters podcast: Digital marketing strategy formulation with Bosco Anthony.
- In this episode, Bosco Anthony shares his insights on the current state of the nation in online marketing, building an innovative digital marketing strategy, and more.
[4:51] – Current trends in online marketing.
- The online world is just another platform; now more than ever, it’s time to leverage conversations.
- Communication has been constantly evolving alongside technology over the years. One key example is the emergence of podcasts in recent months.
- Contextually, our messaging has changed. Our narrative has changed. How we put out our content isn't just based on eyeballs and metrics, it's based on conversion.
[9:07] – Paid traffic, and whether there’s a place for marketers focusing more on good communication than the manipulative aspects of the game.
- Are we building functionality based on usability or peer pressure?
[13:38] – Thoughts on ethical marketing campaigns, and working them into your social media marketing strategy.
- With many people these days coming from a place of fear as opposed to love, we need ethical marketing—marketing that's based on serving and not greed. That's our sustainability as human beings and for humanity, for us, to keep moving forward.
- The problem is that we're designed to look at marketing from numbers and statistics. We need an anti-marketing playbook. We need something that's based on value to us and our purpose, as opposed to just metrics, numbers, and data.
[15:52] – Where most marketing campaigns fail today.
- The X-factor is content distribution.
- Most people are only doing two critical strategies when it comes to distributing content: relying on their organic channels, and relying on their digital assets.
- The reason why most marketing campaigns fail is because we fail at publishing, and we are not in-house media thinkers. We just pray and pray that we get traction.
- There are six other pillars: repurposing of content; building a campaign; finding partners that you know of that have high followings; targeting influencers that have a large audience base; exposure points; and the paid strategy.
- Most companies have an ad budget for conversion, but they don't have an ad budget for distribution of content. Your content campaign is designed to fail if your company doesn't empower you to distribute that content.
[20:24] – A framework for understanding the eight places that you can leverage your content.
[26:35] – Bosco’s successful Christmas marketing campaign.
- If it's great for your audience, why wouldn't you want great content? If someone can provide your audience with valuable insights and something that's relevant to them, why would you not want to empower it?
[29:00] – How the paid traffic space has changed over the years.
- We have to focus on distribution to stay top of mind, to stay current, and more importantly, for us to feel like we're thriving in this particular moment.
- The pressure to distribute content is now bigger than ever before. It's just—What type of content are you producing?
[31:30] – Understanding audience activity.
- As podcast producers and content producers, we have to be able to adapt and make sure that our content is versatile, to meet the demands of our audience members.
[34:19] – Learning about the content hustle.
[35:43] – Bosco’s two biggest pet peeves today with what people are doing in the digital marketing space.
Online marketing is constantly shifting, best practices form yesterday are replaced today with newer more innovative strategies, and we constantly walk a tightrope between what we can do and what we should do.
Bosco Anthony is one of the most creative marketers I know. He has spearheaded some of the more memorable social campaigns I have been privy to.
This week on Grey Matters, Bosco shared his insights on what is the current state of the nation in online marketing.