Amy Porterfield has been on both sides of the affiliate world. Learn why affiliate marketing is her success secret, here on Grey Matters.
Affiliate Marketing is a Useful Tool for Business Success: A One-on-One with Amy Porterfield
[0:00] – Introducing this episode of the Grey Matters podcast: What is affiliate marketing with Amy Porterfield.
- Affiliate programs have been a big part of online marketing expert Amy Porterfield’s success. There are lessons one can learn in the world of affiliate marketing, both as an affiliate partner and in partnering with others to market one’s own knowledge products.
[3:10] – Seeing the potential of affiliate marketing.
- Amy’s first steps into affiliate marketing involved finding a product that was working for her and building an email list.
- A crucial ingredient to succeeding is having a page for capturing people’s names and email addresses. While there are different tools for an affiliate marketer to use, lead pages can still generate a considerable amount of income.
[5:17] – The various facets of affiliate marketing.
- The first and most important lesson one can learn that leads to real success: it’s easy to talk about a product that you actually use, believe in, or have your own story about.
[7:00] – Representing a product that does not resonate well with you.
- It can be tempting to promote a product that you don’t really believe in, especially if the potential for lucrative sales is high. However, that goes against the first rule of affiliate marketing.
- Remember that if an individual is promoting a lot of products and brands, there’s a good chance that the individual isn’t using most of them.
[7:00] – Getting into knowledge products and courses, and choosing the right people to partner with.
- When Amy was learning to become a better online marketer and starting to grow her business, she didn't know how to grow her email list effectively, how to use video and other useful skills for affiliate marketing.
- Marie Forleo’s B-School Program changed her perspective on business after she took the course. Because of how much it helped her, she decided to promote the program to her own audience. This resulted in tremendous returns for her and made her realize that affiliate marketing can help her continue to build her business.
[10:37] – Generating buzz and using effective promotional materials.
- The way the course was structured made it easy to promote through affiliate marketing.
- When you're thinking about affiliate marketing, relationships are everything. Meeting people in real life also helps greatly in becoming successful at affiliate marketing.
[13:32] – Stepping into selling somebody else's program for the first time with confidence.
[14:10] – Gauging how well a new program will do before it even launches.
- Quality over quantity should always be the goal of affiliate marketing. And of course, success requires more than just putting out the links and hoping someone clicks; it requires effort, and some things need to be done.
[15:45] – Transitioning from marketing other people’s products to developing one’s own.
[20:04] – What to learn from being part of an affiliate program.
- When promoting a program, whether it’s yours or someone else’s, go all in.
[23:50] – Applying creativity in affiliate marketing.
- Understand your audience, what you're teaching, and how you're teaching it in the program to make sure that any bonuses in your program and pick up where you left off or can enhance what you've taught.
- Make use of video and storytelling.
[28:55] – Creating a business balance between passive revenue streams and active revenue streams.
[31:26] – Laying the foundation for a content-based business.
- You can't grow an email list unless you're creating consistent original content.
[33:56] – How consistently creating content opens a line of dialogue, draws your community to you, and generates feedback that leads to success.
Amy Porterfield has vast experience on both sides of the affiliate world, and I can’t think of anyone more qualified to share the lessons she has learned in building a wildly successful online business.
Affiliate programs have been a big part of her success. Great lessons in this podcast with one of my favorite online influencers.